Refractive Lens Exchange
Refractive Lens Exchange Find out about our Refractive Lens Exchange Package. Click Here. Introduction The Restor® lens implant is a remarkable advance in corrective eye surgery. The lens is approved for vision correction after cataract surgery. The technology can be applied off label in a procedure called Refractive Lens Exchange or Clear Lens Exchange. The technology enables virtually any patient that can see with glasses or contacts to see without them. The procedure is quite safe and effective with over 80% of the patients with implants in both eyes never wearing glasses again! The other 20% do well also with a marked reduction in the need for glasses or contact lenses. Until recently, cataracts patients who underwent surgery, required near reading bifocal glasses. At the Southwest Eye Institute, we now offer all our patients with cataracts or those with significant visual impairment the possibility to improve their vision with this new technology. With this technology, you will never develop a cataract! How does it work? During our daily activities (reading, watching television, computer work, driving) our focus constantly changes at different distances. The ability of your lens to focus at different distances is called accomodation. As we get older, everyone's lens progressively loses the ability to focus at near. This begins to occur at age 40 in the majority of people. The lens exchange procedure was designed to improve both near and far vision. The lens has a built in mechanism simulating a trifocal lens allowing uncorrected vision near and far! Is cataract surgery or clear lens exchange the only option? The surgery is indicated when the patient is not happy with the best corrected visual acuity obtained with eyeglasses or with the constant need for eyeglasses. It is impossible to determine without a complete exam if this is the best option for you. It is necessary that our doctors discuss with you all the different options available before deciding on the best option for your personal best vision. Is cataract surgery painful? Cataract surgery is a routine surgical procedure performed with topical anesthesia (numbing drops) and sedation (valium or liquid valium). Patients do not generally report pain during or after the procedure. Will I be asleep during the surgery? The surgery lasts between 10 and 15 minutes. It is not necessary to perform cataract surgery with general anesthesia. If you are extremely anxious the procedure can be done with you asleep. With modern anesthesia the patient is not exposed to the same risks associated with general anesthesia in years past. Who will perform the surgery? An experienced board certified eye surgeon will perform the surgery. The surgical team consists of the surgeon, surgical nurses, technicians, and an anesthesiologist if desired. Are both eyes operated at the same time? Although both eyes can be operated at the same, we do not do this for safety reasons. Safety is our number one concern. We recommend operating the eyes on different days. How long will I be hospitalized? Cataract surgery is an outpatient procedure which does not require hospitalization. You will be at the Center approximately 2 hours. When will I see again? Every patient and eye is different, but the vision is usually suficient to watch television or read on the day of surgery. The patient will be able to drive or return to work the following day. Will I need to wear glasses after surgery? It is highly unlikely. The vast majority of patients operated with advanced lifestyle lenses do not require glasses. Can a cataract form again? Once the cataract has been removed, it will not grow again. Some patients will notice months or years later a gradual reduction in vision. This is due to clouding of the membrane that is left behind to hold the implant in place. This is corrected in a matter of minutes with the use of a YAG laser to open a window in the membrane. Although this is sometimes called a secondary cataract, it really is just a clouding of the capsule of the lens. Are there any adverse effects? Some patients complain of halos or glares during a few weeks after surgery which may affect night time driving. We don't have patients complaining of this long term. In the unlikely event you do have significant problems, the lens CAN be removed. What precautions must I have after surgery? You must follow the doctor recommendations after surgery. There are no restrictions after surgery.
FREE Screenings (LASIK, Cataract, Glaucoma)
Call 702.362.3900 ask for Sandy (Se Habla Espanol) or Ann.
8981 W. Sahara Ave.,
Las Vegas, NV 89117
Las Vegas, NV 89117